Research objective and its importance
Korean ancestors were interested in astronomy, and therefore, they developed many astronomical instruments, observed the sky using these instruments, and handed down abundant astronomical records. Therefore, the study on historical astronomy is a way to shed light on the superiority of science and technology in ancient Korea and to inspire national pride of natural philosophy of Korea. To undertake this mission, the historical astronomy research group is performing the analysis and research of astronomical records presented in historical documents.
Objective and contents
The main objectives of the Research Project for Historical Astronomy can be classified into the following topics.
- Research on historical astronomy and calendars in the Joseon dynasty
- Research on astronomical instruments in the Joseon dynasty
- Research on the history of astronomy and star charts
- Research on the Korean Astronomical Museum
- Restoration of Astronomical Instruments : Utilization the Research and Education program for the Middle and High School
- Research on the History of Astronomy and Archeological astronomy: Historical Astronomy in conjunction with modern astronomical research