Research Positions in Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute(KASI)
Job Category : Faculty Positions (tenure and tenure-track)
Institution/Company Name: Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute
Institution Classification/Type: Foreign
Submission Address for Resumes/CVs
Attention To: email@example.com
Contact Information For Inquiries About Job
Email Address for Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Announcement Text:
KASI Job Opening for Research Position
(Below is only for foreign applicants, not for Korean applicants)
Deadline to Apply for Job: October 20, 2014 (17:00 KST)
Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) is a government-funded research institute located in Daejeon, Republic of Korea. KASI is conducting front-line research in various fields of astronomy, astrophysics and space science. KASI is also developing and operating astronomical instruments and observing facilities in Korean and foreign sites.
KASI is looking for creative and outstanding researchers who take the lead in the research fields conducted in KASI.
Not accessible from 19:00 H Oct. 2 to 19:00 H Oct. 5, 2014 due to the Power Supply Exchange
1. The Areas of Recruitment
o PhD holders with excellent research accomplishments in the areas of astronomy, astrophysics, and space science relevant to KASI.
o No limitation on nationality, age, and sex.
o The disable and female scientists will be treated equally.
3. Schedule for the Selection Process
① Document review (Preliminary Selection) : 23/10/2014(Thr.) ~ 24 /10/2014(Fri.)
② Presentation (Secondary Selection) : 04/11/2014(Tue.) ~ 05/11/2014(Wed.)
③ Personality and Aptitude test : 10/11/2014(Mon.) ~ 12/11/2014(Wed.)
④ Comprehensive Interview (Tertiary Selection) : 13/11/2014(Thr.) ~ 14/11/2014(Fri.)
⑤ Personnel Appointment : 01/12/2014(Mon.)
※ The Information about each selection process will be notified on the KASI web-site.
- Schedule of the process
- date and place for each selection process
(The dates and places could be changed by the internal circumstances of KASI)
- the results of the relevant processes
※ The result of each selection process will be informed to the successful applicants through e-mail or on the KASI web-site.
※ The schedule for the personality and aptitude test will be notified through e-mail to the successful applicants.
※ Presentation about the Research
- About the past research achievements and future research plan (PPT 10~15 pages)
- Duration: 20 minutes including 10 minutes of presentation, 10 minutes of Q&A
(This will be adjusted by the number of successful applicants.)
- For foreigners abroad, the presentation and interview will be conducted via Skype.
※ Employment date: December 1, 2014
4. Documents required for the process
o Documents to for the Primary Selection : please use KASI application forms !
① An application form for permanent position and a cover letter
② A document of past research and development achievements
③ A list of research and development record
④ Future research plan in KASI
*①~④ The forms are downloadable at http://www.kasi.re.kr/english/
⑤ Two letters of recommendation
⑥ A photo of diploma
o Documents to for the Secondary Selection
(submissions through e-mail at least one day prior to the presentation day)
① A of presentation material (PPT) and Skype ID
② Certified documents for each of the achievements (Only for relevant person)
③ A of the certificate of career/proof of employment/license (Only for relevant person)
o Submitted documents will NOT be returned.
o Depending on the results of CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK of applicants from their own countries, the ineligible applicant's employment will be nullified.
o If a false information is found in the ted documents, your employment will be canceled.
o The position and salary of the successful applicants is evaluated by the internal rules of KASI.
KASI-York Fellowship Program (KYFP) 2014
KASI-York Fellowship Program is one of the joint research projects under a collaboration agreement for achieving shared goals in the field of astronomy, astrophysics and space science between Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI), a national research institute of Republic of Korea dedicated to astronomy and related research, and Lassonde School of Engineering, York University, an university incorporated under The York University Act, 1965.
With the support of KASI and Lassonde School of Engineering, York University, KYFP Program is offered to prominent Korean and/or international scholars at the postdoctoral level to enhance their further research. The Program is in particular aimed at researchers in the areas of (but not limited to) space weather, payload development, astronomy and space technologies.
Each candidate expected to work equal time at each institution with a minimum of one year of his or her tenure at the York University and the remaining period at KASI.
We encourage applications from broad fields of astronomy, astrophysics and space science, although preference will be given to researchers with research interests common to those of KASI and York University, and particularly relevant to the following areas:
- Space weather
- Small satellite program and payload
- Planetary science and astrophysics
II. Eligibility Requirement
KASI-York Fellowship Program applicants can be of any nationality and must have obtained their PhD in Astronomy or equivalent degree in the related fields within the last four years.
Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English to prevent difficulties during their fellowship periods. Selection process will include an interview during which the candidate’s ability to converse in English will be tested. We reserve the right to request additional English proficiency testing as needed.
III. Duration of Fellowship
KASI-York Fellowship Program can be on a 1 or 2-year appointment basis, with a possible extension up to a total of 3 years, which shall be determined by an evaluation on his or her research performance before the end of the contracted period.
IV. Application Procedure
Applicants should obtain and read carefully the KASI-York Fellowship Program announcement linked in an e-file at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be ted by email.
All application documents must be ted by August 31, 2014, at the latest.
V. Required Documents for Application
- Curriculum vitae
- Brief summary of past research or instrumentation experience (1 pg max)
- Detailed future research plan, including objectives, purpose, methodology, content of research, research schedule and expecting research findings (3 pg max)
- Full list of publications, including detailed information for each
- A minimum of Three letters of reference
- List of potential York and KASI supervisors for the fellowship
Note that application documents should be in A4 and pdf format, and should be ted through an email appointed by KASI-York Fellowship Program.
- All documents must be type-written in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted.
- Submitted applications which are not satisfactory due to an omission of any required documents, accidentally or deliberately, will be automatically rejected.
- KASI-York Fellowship Program reserves the right to request additional documents if necessary.
- All documents received will become the property of the KASI-York Fellowship Program and will not be returned to applicants.
- All applications received will be acknowledged by KASI-York University Secretariat Office.
Annual stipend will at $60,000 Canadian Dollars depending on qualifications and experience.
All applicants should be aware of that financial support is solely for individuals and does not cover his/her dependent or family.
Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons.
Postdoctoral Position (Cosmology) at Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute
1. Outline of the Program
This fellowship is awarded to Korean/international researchers with a recent PhD on cosmology or a related field to support them in their further research.
(Application Deadline: July 31, 2014)
2. Eligible Applicants
- Researchers with a recent PhD in the Astrophysics, particle physics or a related field.
- Especially in the model of dark matter and its phenomenological study including direct and indirect detection and evolution in the early Universe.
- Persons with a PhD in hand at the time of the of the fellowship period
- Successful applicants should be able to join the KASI by December 31, 2014.
3. Details of the Fellowship
- Annual stipends at around KRW 35,000,000 before tax (approximately USD 34,000 ), depending on qualifications and experience
- Research Budget and Financial supplement for health insurance and national pension
- One-way airfare to join KASI (economy class)
4. Grant Period
- 2 years with a renewable extension to the third year (3 years total) upon successful performance
5. Application Materials and Selection Procedure (All submission materials should be in English sent by electronically or by post)
- Curriculum vitae : including information about education (academic degrees, field of study and the title of the thesis or dissertation and dates of award), professional experience, fellowships and grants received in the past, and a list of research accomplishments and publications)
- 2 letters of reference: Letters of reference from two persons in a position who academically evaluate the applicant and his/her research proposal, such as his/her dissertation supervisor, professors or fellow researchers.
- Research proposal (free-style essay)
- A pre-graduate applicant should by an appropriately confirmed document.
(Please contact email@example.com to get the required form)
- Oral presentation by Skype (only for selected applicants)
- Contact person: Ki-Young Choi
- Tel: +82-42-865-2171
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Fax: +82-42-865-2022
- Address: Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute 776, Daedeokdae-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Republic of Korea 305-348
Postdoctoral position of the ALMA Korean node at the KASI
The Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI) is going to join as one member of the East Asia partners of the ALMA. It has set up the Korean node of the East Asian ALMA Regional Center at the KASI. The KASI calls for applications for postdoctoral positions at the Korean node. The successful applicant should spend 50% of his/her time, as a member of the node, to support the Korean astronomical community for the preparation of ALMA observations, data reduction and evaluation and help desk duty, and the other 50% for his/her own research. The successful applicant will have full access to all the resources and facilities in the KASI, as well as ALMA through East Asia Region. KASI resources and observing facilities include the Korean Very Long Baseline Interferometer, the 14-meter Taeduk radio telescope, the 1.8-meter Bohyunsan optical telescope, and the 1.0-meter Mt. Lemmon optical telescope. Although preference will be given to applicants working in the area of radio astronomy, excellent applicants who could successfully conduct the supporting job description will be seriously considered. The positions will on July 2014 but a beginning date is negotiable. The term is up to five years; an initial contraction is for two years and the contraction will be expended annually based upon successful performance. The successful candidate will be provided with the remuneration ing from around 35,000,000 Won (?32,000 USD) per annum depending on qualification. The additional benefits are research budget, financial supplement for health insurance, national pension, one-way airfare to join KASI, and a dormitory room for a single or double.
Applicants should the following documents attached in an email to Dr. A-Ran Lyo (email@example.com) by 30th April: (1) cover letter, (2) curriculum vitae including a list of publications, (3) plans for research in the KASI and the supporting job as a node member, (4) names and email addresses of three referees. Please arrange three reference letters to be delivered through emails to Dr. A-Ran within the deadline. If you have any questions on this announcement, feel free to ask to Dr. A-Ran Lyo.
at Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute
Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute would like to invite full-time researcher who can contribute to a world-leading institute in the field of astronomy.
1. Fields of Invitation
|Title||Major||Application Code||Detailed Field|
|Researcher||Astronomy||A1||Solar Physics(Coronal Mass Ejection)|
|Astronomy||A2||Active Galactic Nucleus with VLBI|
|Astronomy||A3||East Asia VLBI(Operations) and AGN Research|